blindness in the city

11 February 2006

Right place at the wrong time/the blind leading the blind

I was walking through Stokes Croft, a young guy calls out to me, I go over, turns out he is blind.

“Mate, can you tell me where Picton Street is”
“Yeah, you’re really close, you’ve just passed the entrance, so if you turn round and follow the pavement back round to the left, it will take you straight into it.

“Cheers mate”.

He turned round and followed my directions, heading into Picton Street. I was going the same way and said:

“It’s difficult round this bit isn’t it, I’m blind too”

The guy stopped in his tracks, said
“Oh fucking forget it then”
He turned round and walked off in the direction he’d been going orriginally, away from Picton St.

3 Comments:

Blogger alexhighrise said...

why do you think this happened? did he think you were taking the piss or what? was he in denial?

7:17 pm

 
Blogger Pugh said...

No, I don't think that he thought I was taking the piss, I spoke to him respectfully and gave v clear directions. I think he (somewhat strangely) projected his view that a blind person has useful to offer and that my directions clearly couldn't be trusted. It's strange to me (on a practical level) because blind people tend to give very clear and precise directions, where sighted people can afford to be more general - opposite can mean on the other side of the road, 50 yards either way.

4:32 pm

 
Blogger Pugh said...

Interesting omition of the word "nothing"... "that a blind person has nothing useful to offer..."

4:40 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home